Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chicken Not-Quite-Caprese


So, the other night I was in a bit of an embarrassing spot. I had proudly announced I was going to make Chicken Caprese (Caprese Salad needs grape tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil), and when I went to prepare it, my mozzarella was moldy. What was I going to do? Well, I had everything else I needed, and some shredded cheese...

2 boneless chicken breasts
olive oil
flour
bread crumbs plus salt and pepper
1 egg
shredded cheese

grape tomatoes
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
basil

I like to prepare the Caprese salad early, so that the tomatoes (and usually mozzarella) have a chance to soak up the flavors. Cut up your tomatoes, put them in a Ziploc bag, and toss with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil. Place in the fridge until you need them. I did mine about an hour before I was ready to cook dinner.

Heat some olive oil in a skillet. Coat the chicken breasts in flour, then dredge in egg and coat with the seasoned bread crumbs, pressing them into the bread crumbs to thoroughly coat. Place into the heated oil and cook on medium heat about 7 minutes, then flip them. Cook for about 3 minutes, then sprinkle shredded cheese on them, cover and cook for another 3 minutes or so. Either use a meat thermometer (temperature should read 170 degrees), or cut into the thickest part of the breast to make sure they're done.

Once the breasts are done, place them on their plates and spoon the Caprese salad (in this case, just marinaded tomatoes) over the chicken.

It really is quite tasty, even if it's Not-Quite-Caprese. :) My husband wants it again, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment