Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Enchilada Casserole

I grew up in the Southwest, eating a lot of Mexican food. As a result, I'm very picky about my Mexican food. However, while I grew up eating a lot of enchiladas, I'm not very good at cooking them! They are time consuming and difficult to get right. This casserole gives you the enchilada-y goodness without the hassle. It's very simple and very tasty! Thanks to my mom for passing it along to me!

2 boneless chicken breasts
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can nacho cheese soup
1/2 onion, diced
1 can sliced olives
1/2 cup chicken bullion or chicken broth
corn tortillas

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cube and cook the chicken breasts on the stove top. In a bowl, mix the chicken, enchilada sauce, nacho cheese soup, onion, olives, and chicken broth.

Now you're going to layer your enchilada casserole like a lasagna. Pour 1/3 of your enchilada mixture into an 8x8 casserole dish, then top with corn tortillas that you've torn into bite-sized pieces. Cover that with cheese, then spread another 1/3 of your mixture on top of that. Add a layer of torn-up corn tortillas, the last of the enchi mixture, and lots of cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes. YUM. Enchilada-y goodness without the hassle!

TIPS:
When I'm doing a layered casserole like this, I often find it helpful to pour the liquidy portion of the dish into a large Pyrex measuring cup. That way, I know exactly how much I have, and how much I should use for each layer. I usually use less for the first layer, so I can use more for the last layer, since the liquid will seep down from the top to the bottom. You don't want to get to the top layer and realize you don't have enough liquidy stuff left, so err on the side of caution, and use a measuring cup. If you have 3 layers, and 3 cups of liquid, use slightly less than 1 cup for the first two layers, and the rest for the top layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment