Saturday, May 7, 2011

Squash Boats



So, WIC thinks we need to eat more beans, apparently. I'm not a big fan, but I didn't need four more cans of chickpeas, so we got a couple different kinds and I was determined that I would find something tasty to do with them. This is what I came up with for the pinto beans (I also needed to use up my last squash!).

1 large yellow squash
1 can pinto beans
1 can sliced olives
1/2 an onion
1 can Rotel tomatoes (if you don't like spicy, just sub regular diced tomatoes)
olive oil
garlic

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

First, slice the squash in half down the center (so that they're still round). Then slice them down the middle and scoop out the meaty part, leaving the rind intact. Drain the olives and tomatoes, and drain and rinse the beans. Dice the onion. In a bowl, combine the squash meat with the other veggies.

Once you have everything in the bowl, drizzle with olive oil, add some minced garlic, and mix well. Now brush some olive oil on the inside of the squash rinds, or boats. Scoop the veggie mix into the boats and bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on how well done you like your squash.

As long as your squash is not shaped oddly, you should be able to get 4 boats out of one squash. You will have lots of veggie mix left over, so you could either use more squash to make more boats, or do what I did -- I used the extra to cover some chicken legs and wings and baked them for about 45 minutes. I won't lie, though; the chicken was juicy and good, but not the high point of this dinner -- the veggie mix was!

The next time I make this, I am going to add some herbs and other stuff to the olive oil. Maybe cilantro, maybe dill, probably some lemon juice...I haven't decided yet. And definitely a little bit of corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment